Pages

Saturday, 25 September 2010

Bull Sale Season


This time of year, all our attention seems focused on forthcoming bull sales.
As multiple sale catalogues arrive in the mail every day, all spare time is spent poring over catalogues, researching bloodlines and ogling advertisements.
Every available benchtop, tabletop or loungechair seems to have a sale catalogue sitting on it.

First week back to school after these holidays sees the children miss the first three days as we head to town for the 'World's Biggest Bull Sale', and although we're not looking to buy it's a wonderful opportunity to inspect what's on offer, see which genetics seem to be working best and come home with some new breeding plans.

The following week we head north to Charters Towers with our sale team.  Matthew will head up earlier in the week with the bulls, the kids and I leaving it until closer to sale day to join him, only missing two days school that week.

After a week of drizzly mizzly weather, amounting to only ten mil of rain in the guage, we are today experiencing some decent rain.  Cool, wet and the most wonderful Spring we could wish for.
In fact, if you listen hard enough, you can almost hear the grass growing.
Bliss!

3 comments:

  1. Very serious looking young fellows, those two. I've always thought there's something very majestic about a Brahman bull.

    Glad to hear your book arrived. Don't be overwhelmed - I read the whole book from cover to cover then went back to the chapter with the plan in it, totally motivated. I pencilled in some notes and drew my own plan as well. My brother has my copy of the book and I can't remember exactly how big Linda's was but I'm pretty sure I roughly halved what she says, based on the fact that I already had a round chook pen so that is what determined the size of my stations. If I'd had to wait for one to be built, either by myself or by another, I'd still be waiting. Plus I didn't want it to be so big that I couldn't manage it so the pen was the perfect size.

    From memory, my pen is 1.4m across; I sat the pen where I wanted the middle station to be and marked around it using surveyors paint. My paths are only about 50cm wide; there's 50cm between the edge of each station as well as the outer edge of a station and the outer edge of the mandala. I continued moving the pen to mark out the 6 other stations with the paint. My finished mandala is about 7 1/2 metres across. Plants spill out onto the paths but that's ok.

    When I read over the above it sounds complicated but it's not really! If you draw it out on paper it will make more sense.

    I'll take the tape measure out tomorrow and check these measurements and come back to you.

    You only have to get one station ready to start - put your chooks on it, throw in whatever you've got and you're on your way. Once the first station is ready to plant into, you won't want to stop and you can modify it to totally suit yourself. I have. I won't be doing the fruit tree thing; I'm planting my vines in the funny shaped sections and I won't be following the guild (?) planting guide because that looked way too complicated. Just choose bits from the book to suit yourself.

    You just need to start and you'll love it :). Good Luck.

    Mare

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Lord what BEAUTIFUL boys. I feel like nuzzling their faces. Stunning. Is there, truly, anything more beautiful than the faces of Animals in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back again. Two of the measurements I gave above are correct; one isn't.

    Round chook pen has 1.4m diameter
    Paths and distance between edges of stations - 50cm
    Distance from outside edge of station to outer edge of overall mandala is 1 metre, not 50cm
    Overall diameter of mandala - 7.2 metres

    So if you're standing one one edge of the mandala, looking across to the other edge, you will see:

    1 metre edge
    1.4 metre station
    .5 metre path
    1.4 metre station
    .5 metre path
    1.4 metre station
    1 metre edge
    Total distance 7.2 metres

    Clear as mud??

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...