Pages

Thursday, 21 October 2010

F.O.R.T.Y.


Somewhat of a milestone in my life came and went last week without too much fuss. Far more focused on forthcoming bullsales, there was no time for inward contemplation, no time for noticing the wrinkles around my eyes that are no longer only present when I smile, or the scattering of grey hairs that continue to appear between hairdresser visits. Instead my birthday was spent preparing for a trip north, feeding animals, checking waters, watering gardens, filling tanks. There was no clanging of cymbols, no ringing of bells, just some super-excited children who made me this beautiful necklace, picked me these roses and made my morning coffee for me.   They also helped Nanny put this cake together for me, featuring the animals that are so much part of my daily life. Pigs. Cows. Horses. Not to mention the chook dome!

 

In a society where the process of ageing is possibly not valued, respected or appreciated enough, I can honestly say I have never had any qualms about getting older.  I guess partially due to the fact that I've always considered myself to still be 27.  But with forty candles appearing on last week's cake and now with plans well underway for my fortieth birthday party in just a couple of weeks, I'm realising the jump from 27 to 40 is quite a momentous one.  Or not.

For nothing in my life will change.  I'm blessed with great health, great family and a wonderful home.
At 21, if asked to describe my perfect life at age 40, I couldn't have possibly asked for more.
Looking forward to the next forty.

8 comments:

  1. Happy bithday!! I turned 38 yesterday and not bothered at all about my age either. Life could not be better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday. What a great day.
    What a lovely way of looking at it.
    I love the bit about at 21......
    Fantastic. I quess I feel the same way, though I imagined myself with the same figure I had then, pottering around looking all fresh & slim, with a home full of children-HA.
    Oh well. Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic outlook when so many mourn their youth, you simply live yours. Love it. And love the treasure of a handmade necklace. Happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you all the way, I'm 40 in Feb & still feel 27!! Age is merely a number & life should be celebrated. Love the necklace & cake, so thoughtful of your children & mum.
    Happy Birthday,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday wishes. I know exactly where you come from and am an avid follower of the age is not a number brigade. In fact, whenever someone asks me how old I am I need to have a think and work it out in my head (slowly). Denial or old age? Neither. I like to think that it's just because I don't care. Warts, wrinkles and all. Happy birthday again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 40th wishes going your way... just had to stop and say how CUTE the cake was too. So special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the most beautiful cake I've ever seen. It brings a tear to my eye (unless that's the rose hip oil I've just smeared all over my face, I'm fighting those wrinkles to the death).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Back - I've been wondering where you've been! Am sending belated happy birthday wishes - Forty and Fabulous hey - congrats. I just love your cake - especially the chook dome, thats so cute. Good to hear you've already started planting your veges.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...