Pages

Thursday, 24 March 2011

And it Helps you See in the Dark

If I had to choose but one cake as my morning tea of choice it would be this one...


Carrot Cake,
and not necessarily with cream cheese frosting, butter icing will do.  Coupled with a mid-morning coffee, something I have been dreaming of since these 'wonder dieting days' commenced.

As the cake used as our wedding cake, it seems I have made an extraordinary amount of these cakes for every local hoedown, froghop, morning tea, afternoon tea and school meeting since.

Last year, one such cake donated for a Pink Ribbon Fundraising morning tea fetched fifty dollars at auction.  Fortunately I wasn't in attendance for that taste-testing.  There's potential for a fair amount of disappointment in a fifty dollar cake.

And for anybody interested, here's how it's done.


Combine 1 cup of sugar, 2/3 cup of vegetable oil, 3 eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla.


When light and fluffy, add 1 and 1/3 cups of SR Flour, 1 teaspoon of bicarb soda, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, half a teaspoon of ground nutmeg and half a teaspoon of ground ginger (sifted ... if it takes your fancy on the given day).

Then add 2 cups of grated carrot (2 large carrots) and about 2/3 cup of roughly chopped walnuts, more or less depending on your partiality for nuts.


I then cook mine about fifty minutes in a square tin.


Or a round tin.  Your choice.
I find square cakes so much easier for slicing purposes. 
Besides, it's hip to be square.

7 comments:

  1. you know what, a cake like this - no butter? HAS to be healthy right? I too adore carrot cake! I'll be writing this one down - remind me to share my zucchini loaf with you - great for the winter glut of zucchini (should I ever get the vege garden started!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have grated carrots in the deep freeze from last fall, now this has me thinking.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh this is so right in time!!! I have to make a carrot cake for the father in laws bithday on Sunday!! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrot cake is a staple around here.....square works best for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrot Cake - definitely my cake of choice. Very popular with the visitors we get too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, another of my favourites - haven't had it for years!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...