Pages

Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Vege Garden Update

My vegetable garden has been sorely neglected these past couple of weeks.


Other than racing in to grab a handful of goodness for dinner, I've barely spent any time up there.
Thankfully the button squash seem to soldier on regardless,


as does the basil, which seems intent on world domination.


The zucchinis haven't been as prolific as I would have liked, with many of the fruit suffering from some form of end-rot (all suggestions welcomed).  The next garden plot has been planted with fresh zucchini seedlings, hoping for more luck with them.


And the broccoli have been planted, although they seem to be disappearing as fast as I plant new ones in the ground.


Rocket, silverbeet and shallots have done very well, cucumbers have nearly finished after a mammoth production effort and Wallace inspects his solitary watermelon every evening in the hope it may be ready to eat.







We've been busy concentrating on other aspects of our rural life.
Mainly involving cows.
And cows just don't give two hoots for veges it would seem.
After AI'ing a hundred cows Saturday for some friends (in return for two tonnes of corn - yes the barter system is alive and well in this neck of the woods), we flushed here on Sunday.  Embryos out, embryos in, more babies to adore in nine months time.  Yesterday, maintaining the back end of a cow type theme, we headed north to preg-test some cows in which we'd implanted embryos some five or six weeks back.  The results weren't as pleasing as we would have liked, frozen embryos can be a little tricky like that.  Next weekend we head west to implant seventy frozen Brangus embryos currently residing in our liquid nitrogen tank.  Undoubtedly they'll be pleased to enter warmer surroundings.

Today, to shake things up a little, the boss is setting me up on the tractor, ploughing our hay paddock which has been even more neglected than the vege patch.  Hopefully the act of cultivating will inspire me to spend a little more time with my vegetables.

13 comments:

  1. Ah I pay so much for IVF when obviously I could have visited a farmer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a garden like yours....we have only started with a few containers and already my basil is looking ill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona, I think I had the same zucchini problem last year - I think its lack of calcium? I think I was told to add some dolomite. And with the broccoli, if its not the birds getting the seedlings, I would suspect the same nasty bug/moth that decimated my brocoli and cauli's last year (but I wasn't alone, everyone had the same complaint). Ring Tom Wyatt on ABC Radio on a Friday morning (10am - 11am, he is brilliant). I will go and look in my book that he wrote, and see if I can find a definate answer for you.

    Have fun on the tractor - at least it gives one plenty of time to contemplate what other tasks you could be doing! ;-) and I like the new header!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your gardening efforts put mine to absolute shame. I'm such a poor gardener. *sigh* Like the basil and world domination comment :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooohhh...i just can't wait till we can garden...come on spring!!!

    i miss seeing green! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. After no next to no rain this year it RAINED 19mm here at 5 am (what a wonderful way to wake up). Now I cant go on the tractor to plough as it is too boggy so it is off into the garden to weed while the soil is moist. Mind you it wont be for long with this heat 38 degs. Hmmm your zucch's look so good mulched I might go and mulch ours (which were somewhat reluctant to produce this year too).

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We used to insimant (artifical inspiration we joke) but had poor luck with it. So back to the bull we went. Even with the bull we sometimes have an open cow. Guess we take the bull off too soon.

    Your garden is lovely.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are just beautiful. What camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Lord! I can't even manage a few herbs, let alone A.I. cattle!

    You're amazing. I don't know how you have time to blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so jealous. Your garden (even as neglected as you say) is gorgeous. I could only imagine that much fresh, wonderful vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's what green looks like! Makes me smile...and look forward to planting season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fiona - just came across this site and she was talking about blossom end rot on her zucchini...

    http://eight-acres.blogspot.com/2011/02/chicken-and-garden-update_28.html

    Might be of help to you...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Fiona, I was going to comment on your end rot and I see that Liz has already referenced my blog!

    I had two zucchinis doing well for a few weeks and then end rot took over. I tried adding lime and gypsum to the soil (for calcium), but I think it was also my lack of watering. You have to be consistent with water or the calcium isn't available to the plants no matter how much you put in the soil. The button squash are doing well though, as you said, they don't seem to require so much attention, I prefer plants that can survive without me visiting them daily!

    As for broccoli, I found you have to spray daily with pyrethrum to keep the bugs off. And I keep waiting for them to get "big enough" and then they suddenly burst into flower and I'm too late!

    Sounds like you could give me some advice on my heard of two steers! Cheers, Liz B

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...