Pages

Thursday, 26 May 2011

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork

Yesterday, because I'd forgotten to take a chicken out of the freezer to roast for dinner, and because we happened to have two pigs hanging in our cold room, we had Pork for tea.  Slow roasted.  Known as Pork Butt, the cut is actually part of the shoulder, a piece of meat beautifully marbled which lends itself perfectly to slow cooking.  Although the fat adds an amazing flavour to the cooked product, I asked my butcher to trim most of the outer excess.


He's rather obliging, though a little cheeky as butchers tend to be.


I usually coat the butt with a dry rub of salt, cumin & coriander.  This time I combined a few different recipes and came up with a wet rub of olive oil, finely chopped onion & garlic, cumin, coriander, salt,  pepper and a dash of brown sugar.


Placed in a dish with a lid and put in the oven for a minimum of six hours at 150 degrees, it should end up looking something like this:


Beautiful.  The pork will be so tender it will fall apart as you lift it from the cooking dish.  Place on a serving platter and shred the pork, by 'pulling' it apart with two forks, hence the name ... Pulled Pork.

Spoon some of the pan juices over the shredded pork, or even use them to make a gravy and toss that through the meat.


Served with creamy mashed potato and fresh greens, it's a winner.  The leftover pork is perfect in rolls, sandwiches or wraps for next day's lunch.

What is it they say ... Get some Pork on your Fork.

9 comments:

  1. Yummo - I can smell and taste it from here!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmmmmmm! No crackily?
    Looks good - I will discuss this with "my butcher mate, Steve, next Tuesday at Toowong.
    The end result looks mouth watering. Any chance of packing some of it and sending down to me for closer analysis???? After all a "professional" outside analyist would be a fairer judge??? A pork sandwich might go down well in the R E Beer garden with a schooner, whilst I read the morning papers, or should I say "the overnight DOOM & GLOOM"!!!
    Cheers
    Colin (HB)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic. I am home all afternoon and have a pork shoulder in the fridge. Guess what's for dinner here!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummmmm I just might have to give that a whirl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh good Lord! That looks much better than Norwegian meatballs! I'm going to have to get me some pigs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. am drooling. yummo!

    hmm. a pig or 5 in the orchard. yes, I do think I could arrange that.

    xx A

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOOOOOOOOOOVE pork...and have a very obliging local butcher.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...