Pages

Thursday, 14 July 2011

Vege Garden Update

It's been a case of slim pickings lately, with the garden more focused on growing rather than full blown production at the moment.

The potatoes are doing well, though my mulching method seems to be thwarted at every turn with either escaping piglets or chooks doing their best to spread my well-hilled piles to every corner of the garden.


The celery seems to be more leaf than stalk, but even though the stalks are relatively slim, they do have a beautiful flavour, so much nicer than that almost white stringy stuff bought from Woolies.


These broccoli are some that escaped the cabbage moth attack earlier in the season.  I've learnt that members of the cabbage family must be planted later so as to avoid such disaster.


These Chinese Cabbage or Womboks have only been in a couple of weeks and are growing like weeds!


The parsley's in abundance.


Who says parsley's so seventies?

The shallots are old, but still good.  I sneak one into my lunchtime salad most days.


The white flowers are seeding rocket, intentionally left as part of my plan for the garden to self-seed, thus leaving me more time for other productive measures, like photographing butterflies.

The silver beet is also from much earlier in the year and is still going strong.  It's part of the great cycle of life.


I pick it, cook it, put it on the kids' plates, then scrape it into the scrap bucket and it comes back to the chooks, where in a few short months I'll plant some more.  Recycling at its best.

These mango trees are springing up all over the place.


Having thrown old mangoes in to the chooks last year, there now must be at least ten that have grown.
I will pot them one day.

I planted this row of nasturtiums along the border of the vege garden area.  They supposedly act as a deterrent to many insects.  I just enjoy the childhood memories they evoke, picking nasturtium flowers at my grandmother's house, and sucking the sweet honey nectar from them.


The garlic was planted at the same time as the potatoes, I understand it will be quite some time until harvest.


We're going through a little phase whereby we make Diane Sauce everytime we eat steak.  Home grown garlic should go down a treat.

And these are just a couple of the girls who make it all happen.


They spend their days scratching at hay and scraps, turning ground into gardens and producing golden-yolked eggs.


Back to work Bertha.  You haven't clocked off yet.

12 comments:

  1. I should learn the hard way never to purchase seedlings before the required bird protecting netting is on hand - seedlings are still in their little pots as I know if I plant them, the bower birds and crows will have them eaten in just a day or so. grumble grumble

    seeing your glorious garden is not helping matters. grumble grumble. off to nag again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps - wider photos of vege garden set up required please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fiona!
    How in hells name do you find all the time to do what you are doing. METHINKS, you don't sleep?????

    The chooks: New Hampshires???? They are great layers but like all chooks have no respect for vegetable gardens - a fence around the vegies garden might be next project for your clan.

    Here in my street, we have now 5 homes that have a few New Hamshire laying hens. No roosters of course. So far no complaints by city slickers who get disturbed by the cackling when an egg is produced. As we all know, eggs, vegetables and meat, just miraculously appear in packages on supermarket shelves!

    Now how pray tell, do you achieve such great parsley??? There are three things I cannot grow - parsley, african violets and maiden hair ferns! Friends all can in either gardens or pots - I do what friends tell me, and the bloody things promptly die!

    Steve, the Toowong Butcher, has been sneaking a look at your blog, he is enjoying it - as he informs me - REAL LIFE. Well done, Fiona.

    Oh, yes, I agree with Sharon - a bigger photo of the garden area and include the chook and pig precincts.

    Cheers
    Colin (HB)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..so productive! I used to have a little productive garden near our side fence, fenced off from the dogs, then my neighbour decided to put shade cloth up all along the fence and it didn't get enough light any more. I must admit I haven't made another garden yet..yours is inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are just wonderful. So much green in your vege patch. I hope you're 100% proud of it, as well as the fact that the Toowong butcher's a reader!!

    And I'm loving to blue tones to your header, too.

    I love parsley too! Is it 70s? Your farm would be a brilliant place to visit, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cant wait till spring down here to get out in the garden again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all looks great, you've done so well. Meg jets off tomorrow on the Grand Adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is just lovely!

    Thanks for sharing with us.

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photos and I admire all your hard work! I know it wasn't easy putting it all together

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your parsley! They do really growing in abundance. I will try to plant some of those too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...