Pages

Friday, 1 June 2012

Friday Fabuloso

Today was a house day.  More from necessity than desire, I tackled the overnight bags still lying in the laundry from various sleep-overs and outings, the ever-growing pile of crocheted rugs lying around the lounge-room, the piles of newspapers, biros, notebooks, pencil cases, screwdrivers, pre-sale reports amongst other things that multiply on every flat surface of this abode.  And let's not even talk about nerf gun ammunition.

And I cooked.  Because that seemed far preferable than searching for lost hair bands and making beds.

Julie Goodwin came to visit.


Via the pages of both of her cookbooks.  This Lemon Meringue dessert


utilising the first of our home-grown lemons


and over-abundance of eggs.


And from her newest book, we have tonight enjoyed Chinese-style Braised Sticky Pork.  Accompanied by Middle-Eastern Chickpea Salad.


Now that's a multi-cultural experience.

Somewhat of a late-comer to the chickpea and cous cous party, I now just can't get enough.  And because this salad is one of the most amazing taste sensations I've yet to encounter, I feel the need to share this recipe.  Seriously, please try it.

CHICKPEA & VEGETABLE SALAD WITH MIDDLE EASTERN SPICE DRESSING

Zest and juice of 1 lemon
10 medium olives, pitted and chopped
1 capsicum, seeded and diced into 1cm cubes
2 ripe tomatoes, diced into 1cm cubes
1/2 spanish onion, cut into wedges
1/2 cucumber, diced into 1cm cubes
1 medium carrot, roughly grated
1/4 cup slivered almonds, roasted
1/2 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
2 spring onions, chopped
3 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup sultanas
6 tbs olive oil
2 to 3 pinches ground cumin
2 pinches turmeric
pinch of ground cinnamon
2 pinches smoked paprika
1 tsp ginger, grated
pinch salt
pinch pepper


Combine lemon zest, olives, capsicum, tomato, onion, cucumber, carrot, almonds, coriander, spring onions, chickpeas and sultanas in serving bowl.


To make the dressing, combine lemon juice, olive oil, spices, ginger, salt and pepper in small jar; pour over salad.  Toss and serve.


Absolutely amazing.

With rain falling we're looking forward to staying close to home this weekend.  Weaners to be let out of the yards, hams to smoke ... beds to make, hair bands to find.

12 comments:

  1. Was needing the salad inspiration Fiona - must try this over the week-end. Especially as I spent the afternoon making Caramel & Pear Pie with Pecan crumble......even the Lemon Meringue Pie would have been a healthier option!
    Did giggle about the nerf gun ammunition, my vacuum has been known to swallow a few!
    Enjoy the rain on the roof tonight, such a sweet sound..

    ReplyDelete
  2. who cares about the laundry when you can whip up things like that? I'm not one for cooking much (only when the mood strikes or if someone else is willing to clean up afterwards!) but I don't mind eating, and geez that looks good!

    Nerf guns (she says darkly) seemed like a good idea at the time. if only they came with boomerang type bullets.

    And don't get me started on Lego. They would have more to build with if they didn't scatter every small piece to the four winds around the house.

    Still going to the show tomorrow although from a downpour this afternoon I will be wishing that I really did own gumboots, thanks to pics I've seen on facebook. I am wondering if a stumpy dumpy woman on the wrong side of 35 can carry off the look of wearing jeans tucked into her top boots? I somehow doubt it...wet bottomed jeans are in my future I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Fiona, I love this post. Your wry sense of humour always makes me smile. As for the Nerf bullets, let's *so* not go there, okay?! Mmm, I must make a lemon meringue pie/pudding this weekend now I've seen that! And thanks for the other recipe - it sounds scrummy.

    If you're interested, you might want to link up one of your fabulous posts to the Post of the Month Club linky party I'm holding now. I'm sure so many people would be as fascinated as I am to read about your life outback! J x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you posted the recipe for the salad. I looks delicious. There was much begging for Nerf guns here a few years ago but thankfully he grew out of the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum. I will try that. No home grown lemons here though, sadly! We did see some warm sunshine this week though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On Nerf bullets.... They breed in this house like mice.

    The food looks fantastic. Wish we were close enough to pop around at tea time!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's all well and good, but when is the long awaited reprt on the steam mop coming?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um nerf bullets, what Nerf bullets, I haven't seen any! (as she hides them!)

    We kind of have a toy gun free house, well I have tried, the only toy guns have been presents or bought without my presence- and very short lived. Pool water squirters are a different story!!!

    Everyone is all about the food in this weather. Yum to all of your's!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a rainy weekend, isn't it? I do like the ribbon page markers in your cookbooks. The little touches win me over.

    We have glitter all over the place at the moment. Glitter's up there with nerf bullets and missing hair bands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the ribbons ... they came pre-attached. And for sanity's sake this house is a glitter-free zone.

      Delete
  10. Cous cous!!!!! YUMMO.
    We have weaners to get out of yards again tomorrow. So snap. *sigh*
    :-)
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even Nans encounter Nerf bullets - I have my own collection. Have always loved lemon meringue. Must try this one. Salad looks yummo too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...