Pages

Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Raspberry Coconut Slice ... The Recipe

It's hard to find a recipe that pleases all the family.
The girls absolutely love Carrot Cake, Wallace won't touch it.
Wallace loves Chocolate Cake, Jess won't eat it.
Wallace, Sarah & Sally enjoy Choc Chip Biscuits, Jessie won't try a bite.
Jess and Sally like Fruit Cake, Wallace and Sarah don't.
Thankfully I enjoy them all.
Hence I run.
Here though, is a full family pleaser, Raspberry Coconut Slice.


The topping calls for 2 cups of dessicated coconut.  Last week I only managed to scrounge 1 cup, but added an extra cup of shredded coconut.  With no grocery trip in between, this week's baking meant 2 cups of shredded coconut were used.  Both worked really well, but in a perfect world I think I'd continue to combine 1 cup of dessicated and 1 cup of shredded.



Finally ... the recipe:

90g (3oz) butter
1/2 cup castor sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup self-raising flour
2/3 cup plain flour
1/2 cup raspberry jam

Topping:
2 eggs
1/3 cup castor sugar
2 cups coconut

Preheat oven to 180C (350F).  Grease a Swiss roll tin (I use my standard slice tin, approx. 18 x 27 cm).  Cream butter, sugar and egg together.  Stir in flour and press evenly into tin (not a lot of pressing involved, the mixture is quite moist).  Bake in oven 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and spread with jam (I warm to make easier to spread), then topping.  Bake in oven for a further 35 minutes.  The topping is made by lightly beating eggs, then mixing in sugar and coconut.


The base is more cakey than biscuity (excuse the scientific terminology) and is absolutely beautiful.
Give it a go Annie, just get Shorty to read the recipe for you.

14 comments:

  1. Hilarious because I'd have to be your running partner! Looks delicious ... but so sounds everything else. Isn't carrot cake healthy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not met a baked good I haven't liked yet. I should be running, but it makes me puffed ;-)

    This looks so easy! Great for this lazy cook, I will give it a go as well, although I probably have the same coconut issues. Thanks for sharing it (you should have Fiona's Best Recipes Page up there at the top for easy referencing!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am yet to meet anyone who doesn't like this slice - it is a big hit here too!
    I would say thanks for the recipe ... but now I will make it .... and eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my absolute favourites! You are killing me!!
    kind regards,
    The dieter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Fiona! The wee un will be home tomorrow to mentor me through the recipe. It will feed many boys this week end and the occasional chubby mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog, thanks for the recipe....I have just gone through it to try & find the cake that you made a while ago , I think it was a Hawaiian Cake or something like that, but I can't find it. If possible can we get the recipe of that (that's if I am not imagining it)

    ReplyDelete
  7. An apple slice on the odd trip to town is as good as it gets here, but I have lost 4 kg recently and my BMI is down to 25%. So tear up the recipes I say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well the only time I'd run is if someone was chasing me.
    But I do love me a piece of slice, hence why I have a wider bum than most.
    Whatever.
    I am going to try this slice this weekend with the kids.
    Looks right up my husbands alley.
    Anything with the words-slice, raspberry, butter & coconut usually has him at hello.
    Thanks for the recipe. Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay I'll be over for smoko tomorrow. It's a Saturday so no school, and no kids to set a GOOD example for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks just like one that my husbands grandmother makes and it his favorite. I'll have to give it a try and win a few points with the hubby! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious! I love coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  12. when I have run out of desiccated coconut before I have just put the shredded through the food processor- works a treat!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...