Pages

Friday, 20 July 2012

What Was he Thinking?

I honestly don't think I can recall a Winter as wet as this one.  For months, anybody who enters the house via the laundry has had to manoeuvre the  line of jeans hanging in the covered space between house and shed.

Last Friday's local District Inter-school Athletics carnival had to be postponed until Wednesday of this week.  With close to six inches of rain falling up until that point, and drizzle continuing, kids slipped and slid, enjoying the squelch between their toes and mud splattered legs.


With Matthew somewhere between Barcaldine and Blackall, the kids and I arrived home that afternoon to find our grain delivery truck going nowhere fast on the slippery road up to our yards.


With sun setting fast, the kids were deposited at the house to feed animals, while I found chain and roared the little tractor down the paddock.  Larry (known to be a little temperamental), seemed suitably unimpressed.  I reminded him (in the bravado possibly attained via a quick stop-over at the local watering hole on the way home from sports day), he maybe should have rung before coming. There was a buck being passed faster than any pig-skin covered ball on a Friday night at Suncorp Stadium.

As we towed, and backed, and pulled in the drizzle and well into the dark, I was eternally grateful for one small mercy.  That it wasn't Matthew in the truck.  For if there is ever a recipe for marital disharmony, try separating a husband and wife by twenty feet of snig chain.

Unable to see what we were doing, I persuaded Larry to leave it until morning.  I took him in to get a room at the pub, and spent the night stressing.

But as so often happens, daylight allowed us a clearer course of action.  With a series of backing and forwarding, the little tractor pulling from the front, then pulling from the back, rinse and repeat, within a couple of hours we had him entirely jack-knifed but at least some parts of the truck facing in the right direction.  And with Larry still disbelieving, the little tractor pulled him all the way to the gate.


Now of course you'd hardly know where he'd been.


13 comments:

  1. Yep a snig chain between two vehicles is certainly a fine way to test everyone's patience. I recall we broke one once pulling a truck up the road with a Nissan Patrol one late night when a road closed sign wasn't put up on our short route back to the station (some short route that was). Our roads are in about the same state as that lovely grain truck left yours at the moment. It is good that the kids have enjoyed mother nature's effort but I do hope it fines up for you a bit. I know here our rain seems to be on a 2 - 3 week cycle. Great work with the tractor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best to not share those exciting moments within the marriage. Enforced politeness of aquaintances is far less stressful.Still it looks like it was a bit of excitement there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious. My grandfather was a wheat & sheep farmer in south east Western Australia & I love that your posts remind me a little bit of visiting him on the farm. I adored him & I loved visiting him right up until I was 19, when sadly he passed away, still living in the little cottage on the properly, having sold by then, but still helping out right into his late 70'.
    Bless you & you are still hilarious. Love to you Niki

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story Fiona, one full of humour now that the mud has settled.
    Our adventure home from sports was riddled with mud, detours and flat batteries as well. Must have been the day for it!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive manoevering Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh I so agree with you, twenty feet of chain is far too close for husband and wife to be operating under somewhat trying circumstances. Him: "I said GO!(insert your choice of loud swearing as well)" .... Her: "I don't understand that hand signal, but lets see if you understand THIS one..." I'll leave it up to you what sort of hand signal was employed, middle finger well used ;-)

    Honestly, men are so tempermental.

    good job with the tractor, I do hope Larry was suitably impressed, and showed his gratitude! no doubt Matthew arrived home just minutes after Larry was returned to the bitumen :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it wonderful how amusing these times can be when they are all done and dusted? Well, maybe not so much dust in this instance - that's a very impressive mud track! Well done you and the little tractor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl. Good job getting him unstuck.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I laughed at this one - I know that truckie. Assessment pretty spot on. Only took out a section of fence here.
    ;-)
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like BB, I had a good giggle also.
    At the time, I suppose humour was the last thing
    forthcoming??? At least you have the evidence with your camera of the tussle and the bog marks.
    Our second running day of sunshine down in Brisbane. My God, we are being spoilt!
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  11. well at least it wasn't hubby who got bogged, coz they get so shitty when they have made that mistake! mine got 2 4WDs stuck then my wee 15 year old VOLVO pulled them all out! It was the only vehicle left high and dry! GOD I laughed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big Matt get shitty? Never Jodie, never.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh, that last shot looks familiar!

    Reminds me vividly of autumn when hubby was trying to get the oats in and went too close to a wet spot. He came back and dragged me back with him (not happily, as I knew it would end it tears... for me!) with another tractor. Then I had to try and pull him out. Well I was the little tractor that COULDN'T and it got bogged too. Hmmmm. Luckily our neighbour was home and his tractor managed to pull one out and then the other. Personally I've sworn off the tractors for the duration - they don't like me!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...