Pages

Monday, 31 December 2012

2012: Our Year in Review


I sobbed my way through January in anticipation of our beautiful firstborn's departure to boarding school.  And though those first days and weeks were tough on everybody, we could not be more proud of Sarah's incredible attitude towards her schooling and her amazing work ethic which have seen her come through her first year with flying colours.  I am grateful to still have three in primary school this coming year, Sarah's move into Year 9 should be nowhere near as traumatic and I will enjoy every moment of Jessie's last year at home.   

We enjoyed Sarah's first weekend at home in February and celebrated Jessie's eleventh birthday.  And it rained.


We received most of our rain in March, attended a show ball, baked and ran.


April saw our local show host a Brahman Feature Show, cattle sent to the meatworks, the first weaner steers taken off and the last of the branding.


We excitedly headed to town in May for Beef 2012, the triennial beef exposition showcasing all our industry has to offer.  More weaning took place, more rain (the two so often seem to go hand in hand) and Matthew and I enjoyed a few days in the west judging at Alpha and Emerald Shows.

June saw a teenager join our ranks, I enjoyed my annual trip to the races with the local ladies, and the two older girls and I attended our first ever Junior Beef Show in less than pleasant weather conditions.



As the wet Winter continued, we took our last round of weaners off in July, participated in school sports, the CQ Carcase Competition and I managed to pull a bogged feed truck carrying 24 tonne of grain out of our front paddock despite the disbelief of the driver.


My baby turned 8 in August, we fenced, made hay and discovered hokey pokey cheesecake while the first calves of the season started hitting the ground.


September saw school holidays upon us, embryo transfer calves being born, Mama Pig had piglets, the older girls and I ran in our first fun (?) run and we bought a couple of Brangus bulls.


The first week of October always heralds the world's largest bull sale ... Brahman Week.  Wallace and Jessie attended school camp at North Keppel Island, Sarah started rowing and my mum gave us a terrible scare with a very serious health issue related to her Crohn's disease.  Oh, and I turned yet another year older.

With Melbourne Cup behind you, the next stop's always Christmas.  Four pigs went into the cold room in November, the smell of smoking hams wafted through the house and the kids and I enjoyed the solar eclipse.  Molasses continued to go out to hungry cows, we attended our first secondary school presentation night and we experienced a small hail storm.  Most excitedly, we collected Sarah from school for the last time this year.


We started December with a quick trip south to catch up with Matthew's family.  Sarah was able to attend all the younger kids' end-of-year school events, we painted her bedroom, branded some calves, have enjoyed a couple of quick trips to the beach, caught up with lovely friends, had two male birthdays in the house and ate far too much over Christmas. And of course we welcomed Ruby's beautiful pups.

Wishing everybody a wonderful 2013.

We are most definitely hoping for a wet start.  As I'm prone to do at this time of year, after over-doing Christmas and feeling a lot like this little tyke, 


I'm planning a healthy 2013.
My main hope to run more and eat less.

And I'm starting that today.

13 comments:

  1. Fiona, you are a kindred spirit. I love your recap. Living such different, yet similar lives.
    On other sides of the country. That's the Aussie lifestyle for you & trying to keep our kids young & family centred. Love it. I too am planning more exercise & less eating, ha. This is it. Bring on 2013. Love to you & your beautiful family & I hope this is a great year. Niki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like that puppy too and was even (shock horror) contemplating early morning walks to start off my year. Its not the walking part that is the problem, its the getting out of bed part...as of course the top button of my pants and the width of my butt.

    Its been a big year, but yet I find them blending together and have to refer to photo evidence and diary of events to work out what happened when (or if in fact it happened THIS year and not the year before). Perhaps 2013 should be one where I focus on how to not loose my marbles ;-)

    Happy New Year to you..I think we'll be having a quiet one at home despite being invited to a party, who knows we may have a late surge of enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was wonderful !!! Love revisiting all your families activities. Happy New Years and good luck on the running and eating less.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to capture highlights of the year for you and the family. I'm so glad I've been a spectator! Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny looking back as the early stuff seems so long ago, doesn't it. Here's hoping to an easier start to the next year with no big changes and life being gentle to us all. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always look forward to your new blog headers. January is one of my favourites.
    I'm planning a healthy 2013 here too.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! All the best....bring on a wet 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Fiona, what a delightful post. I eagerly await the unfolding of 2013 for you with its boundless possibilities. Thanks for your kind companionship in Blogland in 2012. Bonne annee, mon amie! J x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year to the Noakes family.
    A most informative blog on your country life and much appreciated by me. Brings back heaps of memories, "albethem" pretty ancient - ha ha!
    If there is an "albeit", I suppose that there must be an "albethem"???? But if not, this is a new word for 2013!
    Cheers
    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Given that my blog design changed exactly NOUGHT times all year, I feel very little lazy looking at this post. Reading it makes me even more lazy. You are ace, lady. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that pup is priceless. I felt just like that pup too after Christmas! What an eventful year you have had! I love seeing the new pics in your header each month.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year!!
    I recently discovered your blog, and love it!!
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you go back and recap the year like that it makes me feel like the year has flown by! Hope you guys have a wonderful 2013!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...