Pages

Sunday, 11 August 2013

Tim ... ber

Spare weekends at the moment are focussed on jobs at Rock Wallaby which will allow her to better  meet the market next year.  House painting, tree clearing, lucerne growing, noxious weed spraying all part of the fun to be had.


This weekend, the task at hand involved cutting timber for yard improvements.  Matthew and I had made a start last Sunday sans children.  With Sarah's friend visiting, we thought it best to avoid dropping trees.  That's one phone call you don't want to make.


With Sarah in Townsville for a rowing regatta, it was up to the three remaining to lift.


And lift they did.  Yesterday, with only Wallace accompanying us he'd been left in charge of the tape measure.  Asking me if I thought him strong enough to have a go at barking, I'd immediately replied that no, he was too young.  With my back turned, Matthew took no time thrusting a crowbar into his hand.


A prouder boy you've never seen.



The job of barking timber can be a rather torturous one, with bark having to be chipped away.  Fortunately for us, with several good seasons behind us and plenty of moisture still flowing through these trees, these babies peeled like bananas.



Particularly good for the novices.


And not such a bad thing for the oldies.

9 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos as always, and fascinating to see this process in action puts a whole new meaning on the phrase " barking up the wrong tree" :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. all I can think of how low on the list of fun jobs this must be...How are you managing to lift those big logs though, or does the tractor come into play here?

    (and you still haven't found your gloves!)

    Dad used to cut gidgee posts, and I remember going with him once as a kid, on the exploratory expedition, as armed with a very sharp axe he marked the straight trees to be cut (by my uncles following behind). It remains in my mind as of course I walked too close behind and ended up with a cut finger and went home with it bound up with some shirt tail. Of course being six at the time it was a huge injury but suspect with hindsight was merely a fairly bloody scratch.

    its when I see these photos that I feel so very pleased that my husband loves steel and welding (especially when I professed a desire to have a nice post and rail house yard fence).

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps thankful we are not the only one who reassess weekend plans when extra kids are present, hmm lets do something with a higher safety rating. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very hard working crew you have there. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good on ya Wallace. Great job. I could use a good timber man down here for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to use the same word Alexa chose: Fascinating. Love the insights into your Outback life!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't help but compare the life of country kid to that of a city kid when I see your images. The contrast is stark. Despite it being tough, your kids are the lucky ones x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos Fiona...it's been a long time since I have been felling timber but you have some beauties there! Great hard working kids too I might add...they have good role models! It is exhausting work isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My DH used to cut posts when our boys were little. My boys (10 and 11) have decided they want to be timber cutters when they grow up - the innocence of youth.... I love the photo series of the tree felling.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...