Pages

Monday, 24 March 2014

Same Old, Same Old


Like others who blog I frequently ponder whether blogging is becoming 'oh so yesterday'.  And though being a little behind the techno eight-ball holds little concern for me I do fear I tend to re-hash the same old stories week in, week out, which unfortunately is often the way of my life.  Look at cows, bemoan the state of the market, look at radar, bemoan the state of the weather ... repeat.

And then I remind myself that this blog isn't meant to be a gripping read, but instead an opportunity to freeze a few moments in time, a little window into certain aspects of our life that I will enjoy looking through in years to come.  And while the four youngsters of this family continue to be its greatest fans, I shall continue to record for their benefit.

We headed to Bottle Tree again this weekend, trucking heifers from Rock Wallaby and arriving late Saturday.




Two weeks since my last visit and a noticeable change in the landscape with Summer conditions experienced over the past week.  With no water runoff into dams as yet this season, we are hopeful the current weather system heading our way may alter that situation.


Despite the less than average season, cattle have responded well and fat cows are raising fat calves, all one can ask for really.



We finished the last of the branding and started putting aside cows destined for the meatworks next weekend.  Bulls were taken out of those paddocks we had through the yards.  Now begins the task of keeping them removed from cows for the Winter.  Barbed wire fences don't seem to always suffice.





Having recently re-watched the movie Australia, Sal worked on perfecting her cattle-singing, Nulla style.







Only two short weeks and these girls will be home for holidays.  They've had several weekends in this term and I'm really missing them.


So as days again race into weeks, we'll be holidaying in no time.

11 comments:

  1. I think you may underestimate how many people read and love your blog! Don't ever stop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you have many fans beyond your family. All the best for the weather.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. you totally read my mind :)

    Having just sat down and roughed out a schedule for the next two weeks, with some big jobs to be done, I was shocked to discover the holidays so soon! Which means a bit more flexibility, not being constricted to school hours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And never forget the value of blogs to absent 'rellys, who can't always be around for the important famiy events, and making new friends like Sharon et al.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cows, another farmer complaining about the weather, glorious landscape, sun ... I'm very happy to read about the same old things. I like the more laid back attitude of blogs - as opposed to facebook, instagram and all the other social media platforms that are far more about "hey look at this fantastic thing I've done but be quick because I'm about to do something else ...". Each has their place but I'd rather read a blog like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fiona, I believe I am at least as great a fan of your blog as your kids. Please, please don't stop; I love reading about your life and looking at the gorgeous photographs. Your blog and the way you include your kids in your life is a great inspiration to me. And BTW, Firn (our daughter) is dreaming about visiting Australia once she finishes her schooling here in SA in 2015, and I hope she can meet you in real life! Dinki Hyde, Hydeaway Jerseys, near Johannesburg, South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiona, you keep me sane! I live on a farm and we are battling like everyone but your humour and down to earth attitude really does keep me going. Thank you. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading about your life - and it never sounds as boring as 'get up, go to work, come home, go to bed' which is all I can sometimes muster. (Even if it sometimes feels like that to you.) You manage all the hard work with such style too.
    I loved to see Sal trying to whisper the cattle. Looks like she might manage to mesmerise them in time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fiona
    Your blog, about the realities of life on the land in Australia, is both educational and, in the final analysis, beneficial for many people. Your photographs and stories paint a realistic picture of what the agricultural landscape means for so many that would otherwise remain a mystery to the vast majority of urban dwellers in the capital cities. It is much more than a boring commentary of your daily life in Queensland. Cattle, kids, Chaos facilitates the capacity to glimpse into a real family's struggles and aspirations in working their patch in the outback today.

    Do you read other blogs? Perhaps a blogroll to connect with like-minded souls would be beneficial as well.

    Cheers
    from the Adelaide Hills
    Melody

    Perhaps you could blog more, and in more detail, in the future, as your child-rearing responsibilities dwindle, about women in the bush and all that they contribute to the bigger picture of rural life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog because it gives me an insight into very different life (compared to mine). Some of us city dweller don't really understand farming and it is good to learn. I find it makes me appreciate produce so much more. I love the way you and your family all work together to breed beautiful cattle. Enjoy your girls when they are back! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your blog Fiona. It's one of my absolute favourites. I really take to heart what you say about blogging and social media as these issues have all been in the back of my mind lately too. It's so easy to get caught up in it all, which has happened to me lately, so I'm going to take a leaf out of your book and get back to basics and to why I started blogging in the first place..... Mel x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...